18But thou shalt remember the LORD thy God: for it is he that giveth thee power to get wealth, that he may establish his covenant which he sware unto thy fathers, as it is this day.
If God decides on our wealth then what is our part in this whole exercise? Our part is to be good stewards and to look after what He has given us with the utmost care. How do we do that?
Let’s look at the things we can get for free and yet many of us pay money for them:
- Free water. We do pay for water from the tap to our cities but it is more cost effective to drink tap water than bottled water which is not regulated in all cities and municipalities. If you are concerned about the quality, buy a filter system. Tap water helps keep plastics out of the waste system as well.
- Free entertainment. Local libraries and parks offer lots of free fun, from books to movies to concerts. Put yourself on their e-mail lists so that you get regular up dates. The internet has lots of free games, magazines and newspaper articles, you only need to do a web search for your favorite periodical to get the latest information offerings.
- Free telephone calls. If you and your loved ones and friends have a computer, use Skype or AIM and talk as long as you like. Cell phones can now use Google Voice for free cell phone calls. If Granny doesn’t have a computer, suggest your family look at using a service such as Rogers Home Phone. If you are all on their plan, there are no long distance charges between users.
- Free television shows. If you have the internet, then you can go to the site Hulu and watch most of your favorite television programs there for free so why pay for satellite or cable TV when you don’t need to.
- Free cash. Why pay ATM fees when you can get your cash for free when you grocery shop. Many retail stores will give you cash back with no fees when you use your debit card to make even a small purchase at their store. Walmart has been known to give up to $100 cash back when someone buys a bottle of pop or a candy bar.
- Free credit reports. Once a year you can get a free credit report from Equifax and Transunion. I suggest you obtain 1 from Equifax in January and 1 from Transunion in July of each year. This way you know where you stand every 6 months without it costing you any money.
- Free baggage. Check with your airline carrier to see if you have to pay extra for your checked-in baggage. Many carriers let you have free carry-on so if you can pack light this may be your best option. Ask the airline before you purchase your ticket.
For other money saving ideas to get you on the road to better wealth visit
Margaret L. Good
Certified General Accountant
Brampton Board of Trade Small Business of the Month January 2009
Two Time Barnes & Noble Best-Selling Author List